The instructions below will help you to figure out the following:
- Which version of tvOS you are running (e.g., tvOS 9.0.1 or tvOS 9.2.2)
- Which generation of device you have (e.g., is your Apple TV a 1st Generation Apple TV or a 4th Generation Apple TV?)
These pieces of information can be important for several reasons:
- Some apps won't work on certain versions of tvOS. You may have to update your tvOS to a newer version. However, please note that to our knowledge you can't go back to a previous version once you update.
- Some apps won't run on certain device generations. This is regardless of whether you have the correct tvOS version.
- Sometimes there are problems that affect certain tvOS versions and/or device generations. The support team may be trying to figure out if this applies to your situation.
Steps for getting your tvOS Version and Apple TV Generation
- Get to your Apple TV Home screen (where you see all the icons for launching apps).
- Launch the Settings app.
- Click General.
- Click About.
- On the About page, look for the Model field. We can use this info to figure out what generation your Apple TV is.
- On the About page, look for the Version field. This is the tvOS version.
Article is closed for comments.