Q: What are the steps involved in fishing?
- Put the fishing rod equipped in your primary equipment slot. It will show up over the scout's head if you've done this correctly.
- Walk around the edge of the island until you see a fish's shadow in the water.
- Do the action that throws your bobber into the water. Do your best to drop it directly in front of the fish's face, as close as possible to the face without hitting the fish, because the fish will ignore a bobber that is too far away or not directly in front of it.
- Wait for the fish to bite (the bobber dips below the water when this occurs). Don't be fooled by nibbles, in which the fish approaches the bobber but doesn't actually bite.
- When the fish bites, immediately do the action that reels in the bobber. If you've timed it right, you'll reel in the fish along with the bobber! If not, you'll reel in the bobber but the fish will get away.
Q: My fish nibbles at the bobber but never bites
A: All fish that nibble at the bobber will bite (or have already bitten) within the first 4 attempts. Maybe you don't realize when they're biting. You want to look for when the bobber dips below the water, and press immediately when that happens. (If your frame rate is bad and the bobber never quite dips below the water, look for when the bobber dips more than usual.)
- If you're using a controller that vibrates when the fish bites, some folks find the vibration to be a better cue than the visual dip of the bobber
Q: How do I get a fishing rod?
A: You buy the fishing rod from Mr. Kit pretty early in the game. He will offer it by the time you meet Seagull Bear. Most players buy it in their first play session.
Q: The fish don't care when I throw the bobber near them
A: As you advance farther into the game, the fish require more precise bobber placement. (Put another way, the early-game fish are easier so new folks can get the hang of fishing in general.) Try to land your bobber right in front of the fish (in the direction that the fish is facing) and very close to its mouth.
Q: I fished up a recipe earlier today, but since then I've fished hundreds of times and not gotten a new recipe
A: You can fish up at most one recipe per day
Q: I lost my fishing rod
A: Please use the Tool Finder to find it
Article is closed for comments.