This has been reported by some players. The problem involves the game talking to iCloud and should be fixed in version 2.1.0. Our current hypothesis is that it affects players who have spent some amount of time playing offline and are now trying to reconcile their offline progress with their cloud save. The workarounds below seem to work for the affected players.
- Pros: You'll be able to play online, so your progress will be backed up via iCloud.
- Cons: You'll lose any progress you've made offline since the last time you played online
- Important: Don't try this particular solution if you know that your iCloud storage is full. Your game data probably hasn't been backed up to iCloud, which is unfortunately something that this workaround relies on.
- Delete and then reinstall the Cozy Grove app.
- When doing the deletion, iOS should ask if you want to delete just the app or the app data as well. Choose to delete the app data as well. You'll see that the iOS warning that pops up says that data stored in iCloud won't be deleted. The cloud save is stored in iCloud, so your cloud-saved progress shouldn't be lost. Any offline playing you've done will be lost, but hopefully that isn't much in comparison to what has been preserved.
- Launch the game. Your save slots should be restored to the state they were in the last time the game successfully cloud saved,
- Pros: You'll keep any offline progress you've already made since the last time you played online.
- Cons: You'll have to keep playing offline until the next update. Any progress you make from now until then won't be backed up via iCloud.
The crash is caused by the game talking to iCloud, so playing offline avoids the crash. To play offline, put the device into airplane mode while playing so the device can't connect to the internet. If you choose to use this workaround, please make sure to do the following:
- Put the device into airplane mode before launching the Cozy Grove app.
- Before turning off airplane mode, fully exit the Cozy Grove app by following these instructions. If Cozy Grove is fully exited then it can't try to talk to iCloud, which is what causes the crash.