Skip to main content
How do I get a Log File using Android Studio?
- If you haven't already done so, install Android Studio on your computer by following these instructions: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/61465234-How-do-I-install-Android-Studio-
- On your computer, launch Android Studio and get to a screen like this (it doesn't have to look exactly like this, but it should have the menu options across the top):
- If in Android Studio you can't see the "Android DDMS" frame shown in the screenshot below, click View >> Tool Windows >> Android and you should see it.
- On your device, look in the Settings app for an entry named "Developer options". If you don't see it, follow these instructions to unhide it: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/62275900-How-do-I-unhide-rehide...
- On your device, enable USB Debugging if it's not already enabled. On my device, I do this by going to Settings >> Developer Options >> USB Debugging.
- On your device, navigate to the device's home screen (this is generally where you see icons for launching various apps).
- Using a USB cable, connect your device to your computer.
- On your device, you may get a message asking if you want to give your computer permission for USB Debugging. If this happens, grant the permission.
- On your computer, find the Devices section within the Android DDMS frame. When you find it, click your device's name. Then look at the "logcat" section to see the log.
Set the two settings shown below:
- Note: your logcat might be minimized. If so, look for its icon and click it. The logcat window should restore.
Trigger the problem.
Select everything in the log (on Windows you would click on the log and then press Ctrl-A) and then Copy it (on Windows you would press Ctrl-C).
Paste the log into a new text file or Microsoft Word document, and then save this file/document.
Email the file/document from Step 13 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you so choose, rehide the "Developer Options" you unhid in Step 4 by following these instructions: https://spryfox.zendesk.com/entries/62275900-How-do-I-unhide-rehide...