Bears will sometimes give hints as to a playable word, as shown in the screenshot below:
Bears will NOT give hints if any of the following are true:
- The letters on the board can make 5 or more short words (words containing 5 or fewer letters).
- A valid word is spelled in the input bar.
- If it's a special-case situation where we intentionally turned off the hints:
- HI on the first turn of the tutorial.
- BIG on the second turn of the tutorial.
- All bears onscreen fall into one of these two categories (these bears are too small to give hints--if they're all too small then no one can give the hint):
- Only 1 square tall. (Doesn't matter how wide they are.)
- 1 square wide AND on the left edge or right edge of the board.
If none of the above conditions exist, you should receive a hint roughly every 8 seconds. Note that the bear's hints probably won't result in lots of points, but they should help you if can't think of any words to play.