(Note: We have been advised that mods are not being recognized by Macs. We spent a good amount of time investigating but eventually had to abandon the investigation before we could solve the problem. I am sorry about this. A mod can still be created on either Mac or Windows, but it can only be used/played on Windows.)
The Steam version of Road Not Taken has built-in modding support. To get started, do the following:
- Start from the Steam application. If the word "LIBRARY" is not already highlighted, click it to switch to the LIBRARY view.
- Look through the list of games to find Road Not Taken.
- Right-click Road Not Taken. This will bring up a pop-up menu.
- In that pop-up menu, click Properties. This will bring up the Properties window.
- In the Properties window, click the tab labeled "LOCAL FILES". This will switch you to the LOCAL FILES tab.
- Click the button labeled "BROWSE LOCAL FILES...". This will open your computer's file browsing program (Windows Explorer or the equivalent). The folder that it opens to will contain several files and folders related to Road Not Taken.
- Enter the "mods" folder. You should see a folder named "mod1" and possibly some other folders as well.
- Copy the "mod1" folder, then paste it in the mods folder and give it a new name.
- Important! Do *not* use spaces in your folder name. This will prevent the game from launching.
- We recommend that the changes on this page be your first modification. This is a known flaw in the Options menu of mod1, which you have just copied over into your new mod, so your mod's Options menu will also be broken unless you make these changes.