Note: this FAQ is for fixing your Road Not Taken installation (the game itself), not your saved game. This is a very rare problem. Please make sure that this is your problem before following the steps here. If you're not sure, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask before proceeding.
Fixing your Road Not Taken installation
- Find your "saves" folder by following Steps 1-6 on this page. Once you've found it, copy it to somewhere else (e.g., to your desktop), because we're going to be deleting the RoadNotTaken folder where it is currently located.
- Launch the Steam application and sign into it if you haven't already done so.
- In the Steam application, click Library.
- Scroll through your list of games to find Road Not Taken.
- Click on Road Not Taken when you find it.
- Right-click Road Not Taken.
- In the pop-up menu that comes up, choose Properties.
- In the Properties menu, choose the LOCAL FILES tab.
- Click "DELETE LOCAL GAME CONTENT..."
- Confirm that you want to delete these files.
- Wait while Steam uninstalls the game.
- After the game is uninstalled, you will be back on the Properties menu. Click CLOSE.
- You should be back at the page for the game. Click INSTALL, then go through the installation process. After that's done, *don't* click PLAY yet!
- Follow Steps 1-6 on this page to find your Road Not Taken files. Once you've found it, you'll see that there is no "saves" folder.
- Remember that you copied your "saves" folder to a different location back in Step 1? Go get it from there and put it in the folder from Step 14. After you've finished, the folder should look like the screenshot below.
- Return to the Steam application and click PLAY. The game should run properly.